Winter is prime time for golf in the East Valley! The winter grass is fully in place and the fairways are green and immaculate. The Valley boasts mild temperatures (if you like to golf in shorts), affordable courses, and friendly golf course management throughout the area.
We’ve compiled our top eight courses based on value and noted price ranges by using “$”s, from 5 to 1, high to low. Each of these are close to Cadence at Gateway, a Mesa master-planned community with homes in the East Valley. Plan a golf date while the weather is fabulous, and challenge yourself on these terrific East Valley courses.
- Gold Canyon Dinosaur Mountain Golf Course is consistently rated one of the top courses in Arizona. It’s an unforgettable experience featuring dramatic elevation changes, abundant wildlife and exhilarating views. Most golf courses have one signature hole, but Dinosaur Mountain has at least ten holes to thrill beginning through expert golfers. Less than 20 minutes from Cadence, this Gold Canyon course is right off the US 60 Superstition Freeway.
6100 S Kings Ranch Rd. Gold Canyon, (800) 827-5281, (480) 982-9449
- Kokopelli Golf Club is one of the best values in the East Valley. Located in Gilbert about 20 minutes from Cadence at Gateway, it offers the service and amenities of an upscale private club at daily fee prices. The 18-hole course features numerous water holes, is open to the public seven days a week and offers four sets of tees for different skill levels. Great membership options available that include unlimited access. Play can sometimes be slow, but great rates and very helpful staff make up for it.
1800 W. Guadalupe Rd. Gilbert, (480) 926-3589
- Whirlwind Golf Course at Wild Horse Pass is sensitively designed to preserve the rich cultural heritage of the Gila River Indian Community. Named for the prominent design feature of the hand-woven basketry of the Authum tribe, Whirlwind is the work of golf course architect Gary Panks. A round at Whirlwind is quiet, peaceful and is definitely a destination golf experience, yet it is only 11 miles from Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport and about a half hour west of Cadence.
Join Troon Rewards® to earn free rounds of golf and discounts on merchandise and golf fees.
5692 W North Loop Rd., Chandler, (480) 940-1500
- Bear Creek Golf Complex offers two courses, the Bear Course and the Cub Course. The Bear Course features rolling fairways, strategic bunkering and well-conditioned greens. It stretches to 6,825 yards from the back tees and plays to a par 71.
The Cub Course is a fun, sporty 3,552-yard executive course, par 59. It’s the ideal place for beginners, seniors, juniors & families. It has five par 4s and thirteen par 3s. Yet the holes vary in length, allowing players to hit every club in their bag.
Bear Creek is home to the Junior Golf Association of Arizona 100-hole marathon. The 2016 marathon raised over $41,000 to benefit young golfers, another reason to love this East Valley course. Beer Creek is less than a half hour from Cadence at Gateway, off Arizona Avenue and Riggs Road in Chandler.
- Riggs Road, Chandler, (480) 883-8200
- Toka Sticks Golf Course is owned by The Gila River Indian Community and was designed by the Army Corps of Engineers in the early 1950s as a recreational facility for personnel stationed at Williams Air Force Base. The course offers a traditional golf experience on an enjoyable layout. Toka Sticks is a quick five-mile drive from Cadence, off the South Loop 202 Freeway at Power and Williams Field Roads, adjacent to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
Purchase a Toka Card for frequent play discounts on games, merchandise and meals. Junior golfers are welcome and play for free starting at the 9-Hole Twilight rate when playing with a paying adult.
6910 E. Williams Field Rd., Mesa, (480) 988-9405
- Ocotillo Golf Club includes 27 holes of golf and is a recipient of Golf Digest’s 4 1/2 Star Best Places to Play Award. The club’s lush fairways, cascading waterfalls and colorful flora offer a unique contrast to the area’s desert landscaped courses. If you like water hazards, this is the East Valley course for you to try. Ocotillo Golf Club is about 30 minutes from Cadence at Gateway taking the 202 West Freeway and Alma School Road.
Purchase an Oasis Card and receive a ton of free perks.
3751 S Clubhouse Dr. Chandler, (480) 917-6660
- Lone Tree Golf Club is a traditional-style course that makes the perfect setting for Arizona golf vacations and features five holes with water, one with an island green. The club offers a full-service golf shop and practice facility. Lone Tree Golf Club is about 20 minutes Southwest of Cadence at Gateway off the 202 West Freeway and Gilbert Road.
Inquire about golf passes that offer discounts depending on frequency of play.
6262 S. Mountain Blvd. Chandler, (480) 219-0831
- San Marcos Golf Course first opened in 1913, San Marcos was seeded with Bermuda grass the following year, making it the FIRST green grass golf course in Arizona, and over 100 years old. Over the years, Presidents, dignitaries and famous celebrities have enjoyed the historic golf course’s lush setting and challenging design.
The course now boasts a recent multi-million-dollar renovation that features expanded lakes, new tee boxes and reconstructed bunkers. It’s a strategically diverse and visually stunning layout that makes for an enjoyable challenge for golfers of all playing abilities. There’s also a family-friendly Pitch and Putt Course.
Visit the website and create an account to learn about special discounts. The San Marcos Golf Course is less than 20 minutes west of Cadence in Chandler.
100 N Dakota St. Chandler, (480) 963-3358
Interested in more tips for East Valley living, Mesa master planned communities or new homes in the East Valley? Sign up at http://cadenceaz.com/contact/
Photos provided by the golf courses.