Forget buying the frozen taquitos—I promise, this chicken and black bean taquito recipe is worth the extra work to make them by hand. If you’re like me, you try to stay away from fried foods as much as possible, so instead of frying our taquitos, we baked them. Wow, did these turn out delicious! This recipe can easily be made vegetarian by replacing the chicken with more black beans.
Makes 40 Taquitos
2 cups chicken breast, shredded
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2 cups refried black beans, canned
2 cups Mexican cheese blend
40 corn tortillas
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, comine the shredded chicken, cumin, chili powerder, salt, garlic powder, paprika and lime juice. Stir in the beans and shredded cheese.
3. Get two paper towels damp and place two tortillas at a time in between the paper towels. Place in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and roll up the taquitos.
4. Place a heaping tablespoon of the chicken, bean and cheese mixture in the center of the tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place the taquito, seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Continue rolling taquitos until the tortillas and filling are gone. You should have about 40 taquitos.
5. Spray the taquitos generously with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until taquitos are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and serve warm.