Summer is just too hot for cake, even birthday cake! It’s just too much time in the kitchen! This crisp is more appealing, and easier! If you don’t want to heat up the “big” oven, you can bake this is a toaster oven and even on the grill (use a metal pan furthest from direct flame).
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 lbs ripe peaches, halved, pitted and cut into thin slices
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats – we used Irish steel-cut for a different “bite”
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ light brown sugar (dark is fine too if that’s in the pantry)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom (or less to taste)
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg (or less to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, cut into small squares — about ¼ inch
Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, gently toss fruit, sugar and lemon juice. Pour into large pie pan or baking dish. In a second bowl, toss oats, flour, spices and salt. Cut in the butter with a fork or your hands until all is mixed together and crumbly. Sprinkle this topping over the fruit evenly and bake 1 hour. Let cool 30-45 minutes and serve with a good quality French Vanilla ice cream.
This basic recipe can be adapted for most stone fruits and berries — mix fruits together or use one kind of fruit as you like. I’ve used lime juice when I ran out of lemon, and mixed up the spices to add variety, including adding ginger, mace and even pepper (yes!) for a subtly different taste profile.